Thursday, October 4, 2018
This year Women’s Service Day celebrates its 17th year of serving women and children in our community! The event is planned for Thursday, October 4; registration will begin shortly after Labor Day.
Women’s Service Day volunteers continue to make a huge difference in the lives of women and children in our community—approximately 9,000 cumulative volunteer hours since we began in 2001. And we’ve raised and donated more than $100,000 to various nonprofit organizations.
In the past, we’ve cleaned and organized, painted and finished, landscaped and weeded, cooked and baked, washed windows, assembled lesson plans and materials, organized and led after-school activities for middle school girls, made cards for families with loved ones who are terminally ill or living in nursing facilities, and wielded power tools for construction. This year, we’ll be volunteering at a number of nonprofit agencies in Holland.
Here’s How to Register Once Registration Opens
This year, Women’s Service Day is using online registration by Sign Up Genius. This new system will allow you to choose specifically where and when you’d like to volunteer on Women’s Service Day. Volunteer opportunities are limited; they’ll be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please keep two things in mind: Most agencies require that volunteers be 18 or older; look for notes on the few that are available to younger volunteers. And because some of our volunteers have physical limitations, please choose options that align with your capabilities.
If you’re not familiar with Sign Up Genius, just follow these four easy steps:
2. CHOOSE YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
- Click on the green “Sign Up” button next to a volunteer opportunity you’d like to do.
To volunteer all day, choose both a morning and an afternoon assignment.
- If you have a physical limitation and don’t see an appropriate task for your abilities on the list, please contact us at email@example.com. We definitely have a place for you!
- Got leadership skills? Consider signing up to be the leader of a volunteer crew. Read more about crew leader expectation and responsibilities.
- Once you’ve picked your assignment(s), click on the big purple “Submit and Sign Up” button.
3. SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT:
- Create a Sign Up Genius account (or log in if you already have one!). This will allow you to get email reminders and other important messages about the event.
- Complete the remaining questions on the form and click the big green “SIGN UP NOW” button.
4. MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- You’re now all set for WSD on October 4!
- We’re counting on you, so make sure you add your assignment(s) to your calendar.
- And by all means, please invite your friends to sign up — the more the merrier!
What to Expect on October 4
For a morning or all-day session, plan to arrive at your worksite in Holland at 8:30 a.m. For an afternoon session, plan to arrive at Hope Church by noon, where we’ll gather for a celebration lunch (for which we ask a $5 donation). We’ll have a raffle to help support Camp Sunshine, which provides summer camp experiences for adults with developmental disabilities and also supplies respite for their caretakers. Bring your checkbook!
We’ll also be collecting women’s bras and underwear and children’s pajamas for Holland Rescue Mission, a non-profit shelter that seeks to meet the needs of men, women, and children in West Michigan.
Help Us Spread the Word
If you’re part of an organization or group of women that likes to make a difference in your community, help us spread the word about this year’s event on October 4. Here are some ways we suggest:
- “Like” our Facebook page.
- Share this page via Facebook.
- Follow or tweet our posts via Twitter. You can follow the day through photos and updates on Twitter (@womenserviceday) and tweet your own experiences, too.
- Follow along on Instagram. You can follow WSD and events leading up to the big day through photos and updates on Instagram (@womensserviceday). We’d love for you to share your own experiences and tag us on Instagram too.
- +1 and share our posts via Google+.
- Contact us for materials (newsletter copy, posters, and business cards) that will help you recruit volunteers within your organization!
Interested in supporting Women’s Service Day but you’ve got other commitments on October 4? We’d love your financial support. Email Women’s Service Day to find out other ways to contribute to the day.
Check back here at our website for more details about our event as the date approaches. Thank you for your willingness to help!