Thanks to 140 volunteers working on Women’s Service Day this year, a LOT was accomplished around the Holland community. Like raising over $1,800 for Nuestra Casa neighborhood center, which is nearing its total fundraising goal of $75,000 for renovation. And, raising the roof on Nuestra Casa—plus adding wall frames—all in one day!
Check out the slideshow of images from the day.
(And more photos are posted on Shutterfly.com!)
Here’s a list of the many tasks our volunteers accomplished around Holland:
- Preparing curriculum for the Girls on the Run program
- Outdoor yard work and clean-up at the Center for Women in Transition as well as Evergreen Commons
- General organization and cleaning at Holland Rescue Mission’s Stepping Stones Day Care and Family Hope Ministry Center, the Rock Urban Youth Ministry, and Shepherd House, as well as the Community Action House General Store and Hospice of Holland
- Installing drywall at a Habitat for Humanity house for a single mother
- Harvesting and garden shut-down at the Holland Community Garden
- Painting residents’ homes in Westcore neighborhood
- Stocking the freezer with prepared meals at My Sister’s House 2
- Making cards for families of terminally ill patients at Hospice of Holland
- Packaging diapers for distribution by Nestlings Diaper Bank through nonprofits to mothers in need
We’ve already received feedback from our agencies, who look forward to this event each year, as well as from volunteers. Here are expressions of gratitude from recipients and participants:
“Thankful for all the Women’s Service Day volunteers who are working here and throughout the community. It’s great to see women empowering others through the spirit of giving!” – Center for Women in Transition
“Nestlings had a great group of ladies in today for Women’s Service Day that wrapped lots of diapers. Thank you to Hilda, Becky, Kelly, Kara, Pria and Rose for all your service today.” – Nestlings Diaper Bank
“Love having Women’s Service Day at Habitat! They are working hard and doing a great job at our site.” – Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity
“We had a great day at Nuestra Casa. The women worked wonders.” – Dave DeBlock, Nuestra Casa construction team site lead.
“[I made] new connections with our JCI friends. Loved working at Hospice of Holland. The people there were so thankful for our help as we were able to do some of the more challenging work that the normal older volunteers could not get done.” 🙂 – a WSD participant