Interested in what we’re doing on Women’s Service Day this year?
Here’s a list of the organizations we’ll be serving and the types of tasks we’ll be doing to serve women and children in the Holland/Zeeland area on October 3.
- Center for Women in Transition creates and sustains an environment that enhances the voice, opportunities and strength of women and girls in Allegan and Ottawa Counties. Volunteers will be preparing curriculum for the Girls on the Run program. Others will be assisting with outdoor yard work and Fall clean-up at the main office and the shelter.
- Community Action House feeds and clothes families, provides housing, and equips community members with skills and resources for sustainable living. Volunteers will be involved with general organization and painting at the organization’s general store. Others will help with garden shut-down for the season at the Holland Community Garden.
- Evergreen Commons brings together in one place both leisure activities for seniors and the coordination or delivery of services that address many aging related needs of seniors and their families, such as respite care, nutrition, home safety, and the assistance of social workers. Volunteers will assist with the outdoor gardens.
- Holland Rescue Mission develops and delivers programs of excellence for the homeless and less fortunate. Volunteers will help the Rock Urban Youth Ministry with deep cleaning, storage organization and other projects. Some will be cleaning all of the daycare rooms at the Stepping Stones Day Care from top to bottom, as well as cleaning and organizing at the Family Hope Ministry Center. Others will assist with washing windows and yard work at the Shepherd House.
- Hospice of Holland offers comfort and relief to soothe the body, counsel and support to quiet the heart, and resources of faith to strengthen the spirit toward the end of life. Volunteers will do some deep clean at the Hospice House and make “thank you” and “thinking of you” cards for families of patients.
- Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity builds housing with partner-owners based on the principle that everyone deserves a decent place to live and that our community is a better place when that occurs. Volunteers will be priming, painting or hanging drywall for a Habitat home.
- My Sister’s House II sponsored by the Holland Deacons’ Conference cares for women with physical and developmental challenges by assisting them with the activities of daily living in an adult foster care home. Volunteers will be cleaning and cooking.
- Nestlings Diaper Bank serves as a central location to collect, store, and distribute diapers that have been donated by the local community or purchased through fundraising efforts. Volunteers will be wrapping diapers into packs of 12 for distribution through area nonprofit organizations to mothers in need.
- Nuestra Casa neighborhood center is a collaborative effort to renovate an abandoned home into a safe place for neighbors to gather. Some volunteers will make pigs-in-the-blanket as a fundraiser for Nuestra Casa. Others will be involved in construction tasks on-site. Proceeds from the auction and raffle during lunch will benefit Nuestra Casa as well.
- Westcore Neighbors are a group of community members in the core city of Holland who have come together to help build a stronger neighborhood. Volunteers will be divided among several different projects, including exterior scraping and painting, for homeowners in the neighborhood.