For this year’s Women’s Service Day event, we’ve chosen the program Breakfast with Baby for our donation drive.
Started in 2001 as an outreach by New Community/Fourth Reformed Church, it’s open to women with limited income who are at least seven months pregnant or the mother of a child one year or younger. Along with a monthly breakfast of eggs or pancakes with fruit, juice, and potatoes, parents receive a set of coupons for a temporary store set up in another of the church’s large basement rooms.
We think this program fits perfectly with our goals for Women’s Service Day:
- Making a difference in our community—and having a great time doing so
- Increasing awareness of issues for women and children in the West Michigan community
- Promoting networking among women in our community
And it connects with this year’s focus, which is to build community in the City of Holland, especially in Westcore neighborhood where New Community church and Nuestra Casa–the new neighborhood center we’re renovating–both reside.
The program most urgently needs:
- new clothing (sizes newborn – 2 T)
- Other donations that are appreciated include: crib sheets, baby lotions (wash, lotion, diaper rash cream), receiving blankets, and blankets.
We’ll be collecting these items on the day of our event, October 4. It’s one way we can help a program that fills in the gaps that aren’t provided by the government or social services.
To read more about it, check out the Holland Sentinel article.